Dienstag, April 26, 2005

 
!!! Assignment-Alarm !!!
I know it has been a looooooong time…
A time with many readings, long study nights, not too much sleep, assignments, assignments and assignments…
ok, there have also been other things (I visited the Apartheid museum, we organized a German Night in the AIESEC house, I met German friends (Julia and Matthias :o)) on their way back to Germany at the airport, I moved again (the new place is a lovely house with Hilary (the lady who rents two rooms to students), smuggi (the well fed cat) and from Thursday on Leslie (I know her via AIESEC). It also has two Zimbabweans (in the cottage), a beautiful garden and is just perfect! I mean, compared to the AIESEC house it’s sometimes a little bit quiet… but the AIESEC house is still close and I can visit when ever I feel like, and study when ever I have to, without being distracted by all the fun having people :o)).
You see, I’m still doing great!
I just wanted to share quickly something that happened on Sunday evening.
Since I have to submit my work on Mondays, Sunday means !!!assignment alarm!!! And I usually write the whole day/ night. So that was the plan for last Sunday as well. But from 10h there was a power failure. That happens quite often especially when it starts getting cold. Because than all the people turn on their electrical heaters (ja, the non existing heating system in this country is a disaster. It’s almost as if the people pretend that there is no winter in South Africa. They don’t have heating systems inside the houses and they don’t isolate their walls or windows and only use these tiny electrical heaters…) and the generator breaks down. So last Monday people were turning on their heaters because it was raining, storming, there was thunder and lightening, it was hailing like crazy and freezing cold. So you can’t really blame them for doing what they did. But the consequences for me were kind of a ‘worst case scenario’… First thing, it was my most active working phase, second, my computer doesn’t have battery, third, there were no candles in the house (apart from that vanilla perfumed thingy). So I had to go to bed. You never really realize what goes with electricity unless you don’t have it. (The other day there was a power failure and a friend of mine wasn’t able to get inside his house because he couldn’t open the electrical gate and he also didn’t want to risk jumping over the electrical fence – in case the electricity would suddenly come back…).
But to bring my little “super GAU” story to an end: On Monday I got up early, finished my assignment and submitted it just in time. So I should stop complaining and continue my studying - before the next power failure hits :o)

Comments: Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?